This feature allows players to temporarily lower their level without mentoring another player.
The NPC's which will allow you to automentor are a Timeless Chronomage .
|This picture is from August, before the Chronomage hit Test.
In each of Norrath's major cities -- Qeynos, Freeport, Kelethin, Neriak, and Gorowyn -- you will find an erudite known only as a Timeless Chronomage
. This new form of erudite magic will allow adventurers to reduce their adventuring level, facilitating lower level exploration.
Adventurers will need to be at least level 20 to partake of the Timeless Chronomage's services. They will offer to lower your level in five-level increments.
There are a few caveats, addendums, and quid pro quos... The bigger the gap between your actual level and your adjusted level, the bigger the decrease in your experience gain. For adventurers on the PvP servers, the same restrictions that you have while mentoring will apply.
You can click cancel the buff at any time. However, to have it reactivated, you must return to the Timeless Chronomage. 
These are from the August 27 Test patch notes 
- A number of mysterious erudites have set up in Qeynos, Freeport, Neriak, Gorowyn, and Kelethin. Any player level 20 or higher can speak to them and for a small fee temporarily lower their adventuring level.
- This works very similarly to mentoring except:
- You do not need a mentoring target.
- You can only choose levels in increments of 5 (10, 15, 20, etc).
- You do not receive the bonuses granted from mentoring other players (currently you receive a very large bonus to AA gain while mentoring another player, this is not granted by the Chronomagic system).
- The chronomagic will last until cancelled (right-click on your nameplate or /unmentor). Once cancelled, you must return to any Timeless Chronomage to reactivate the effect
- Additionally, 37 new missions have been added that work similar to The Shadow Odyssey's daily doubles. They task players with slaying various bosses within zones of all levels throughout Norrath And, of course, these missions reward players with an array of exciting new items!
- Chronomagic works the same on PvP servers as it does on PvE servers. However, it also has all the same restrictions as mentoring—namely that you cannot engage in PvP combat while the chronomagic effect is on your character. This makes it quite a bit more dangerous on PvP servers, so good luck and be careful!
From the September 8 Test patch notes 
- The Chronomagi Taskers have moved to be near the Timeless Chronomages (causing them to change zones from Qeynos South -> Harbor and from Freeport North -> East. In Gorowyn and Kelethin, they simply moved)
- When mentoring or chronolocking scaled down item bonuses will now be applied correctly.
- Improved error message when you are too low level to chronolock.
See: Chronomagic Missions
Adventure Writs can now be acquired at your mentored level! See: City Task Quests
See the Timeless Trader vendor listing for a full list of items. Complete missions and earn faction to unlock the rewards.
This page last modified 2012-06-19 13:25:25.