Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Windows 8.1 is like a virus AGGHGHGHHFollow

#27 Jan 24 2014 at 10:03 AM Rating: Default
5 posts
So did we just came to the conclusion that Win8.1 was never the problem?

For me it's the best thing that happened since XP and most people having problems with it either have a lame hardware not supported by their own manufacturer or have their HD full of malware from **** sites.
#28 Jan 24 2014 at 10:12 AM Rating: Good
gorila123 wrote:
So did we just came to the conclusion that Win8.1 was never the problem?

For me it's the best thing that happened since XP and most people having problems with it either have a lame hardware not supported by their own manufacturer or have their HD full of malware from **** sites.


I'd be particularly careful about this -- The hardware some people have is exactly what they can afford, and keep in mind that not everyone (I'm not saying this about Catwho, but just in general) has the technical expertise of someone with a doctorate in Computer Science or having worked in tech since the IBM PS/2 desktop. I often hear, "f'ing noob", thrown around by people who are technically savvy when the people they're dealing with really are computer illiterate or unable to afford better and don't know that they need better.

It's the equivalent of chewing a first timer in a dungeon in an MMO who's never played cooperatively in an MMO before, and we can all mostly relate to how that feels on the receiving end.
____________________________
Blog: http://robertcrist.me/

Current: FFXIV | EVE Online (again)
Former: FFXI | The Matrix Online (FOREVER!!!) | STO | SW:TOR | EQ2 | WoW | Florensia | RF Online

FFXI :: Valefor :: Dareknight, Darexius
FFXIV :: Valefor :: Dare Knight
EVE Online :: Dare Knight, Hazel Knight, Rex Knight
#29 Jan 24 2014 at 12:33 PM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
gorila123 wrote:
So did we just came to the conclusion that Win8.1 was never the problem?

For me it's the best thing that happened since XP and most people having problems with it either have a lame hardware not supported by their own manufacturer or have their HD full of malware from **** sites.


No, Windows 8.1 was the cause of the problems. (Had I never upgraded to 8.1, I would have never experienced the issues.) The solution was getting the updated firmware from the motherboard manufacturer. Why they didn't make it available via Windows update, like so many other firmware updates are, is a mystery.

The UEFI board "secure boot" thing is unrelated to the Blue Screens of Death, but it's the reason why Windows wouldn't let me reformat.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#30 Jan 24 2014 at 12:35 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
******
29,913 posts
gorila123 wrote:
So did we just came to the conclusion that Win8.1 was never the problem?

For me it's the best thing that happened since XP and most people having problems with it either have a lame hardware not supported by their own manufacturer or have their HD full of malware from **** sites.


1. Windows 8.1 is a steaming pile of ********* due to interface alone.
2. My PC can beat up your PC.
3. My PC does not have a "HD full of malware from **** sites"
____________________________
Arch Duke Kaolian Drachensborn, lvl 95 Ranger, Unrest Server
Tech support forum | FAQ (Support) | Mobile Zam: http://m.zam.com (Premium only)
Forum Rules
#31 Jan 24 2014 at 12:59 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
29 posts
Dread Lörd Kaolian wrote:
[1. Windows 8.1 is a steaming pile of horsesh*t due to interface alone.


To conservative. Smiley: lol
#32 Jan 26 2014 at 4:33 AM Rating: Excellent
******
27,272 posts
Ssarrs wrote:
Dread Lörd Kaolian wrote:
[1. Windows 8.1 is a steaming pile of horsesh*t due to interface alone.


To conservative. Smiley: lol

No. W8 has a UI on par with the stupidest ones you've ever seen in WoW, the ones that look sort of pretty but utterly fail at what they're supposed to do. It's absolutely miserable and should never have been released this way.
Maybe if everyone only used touchscreens it would have worked but how many people do you know who have a touchscreen on their desktop?
____________________________
Theophany wrote:
YOU'RE AN ELITIST @#%^ AETHIEN, NO WONDER YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS AND PEOPLE HATE YOU.
someproteinguy wrote:
Aethien you take more terrible pictures than a Japanese tourist.
Astarin wrote:
One day, Maz, you'll learn not to click on anything Aeth links.
#33 Jan 26 2014 at 7:38 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,496 posts
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Ssarrs wrote:
Dread Lörd Kaolian wrote:
[1. Windows 8.1 is a steaming pile of horsesh*t due to interface alone.


To conservative. Smiley: lol

No. W8 has a UI on par with the stupidest ones you've ever seen in WoW, the ones that look sort of pretty but utterly fail at what they're supposed to do. It's absolutely miserable and should never have been released this way.
Maybe if everyone only used touchscreens it would have worked but how many people do you know who have a touchscreen on their desktop?


That was the intention behind the UI, Microsoft was banking on hardware developers moving towards touchscreens, which never happened.
#34 Jan 26 2014 at 2:01 PM Rating: Decent
Keeper of the Shroud
*****
13,552 posts
Raolan wrote:
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Ssarrs wrote:
Dread Lörd Kaolian wrote:
[1. Windows 8.1 is a steaming pile of horsesh*t due to interface alone.


To conservative. Smiley: lol

No. W8 has a UI on par with the stupidest ones you've ever seen in WoW, the ones that look sort of pretty but utterly fail at what they're supposed to do. It's absolutely miserable and should never have been released this way.
Maybe if everyone only used touchscreens it would have worked but how many people do you know who have a touchscreen on their desktop?


That was the intention behind the UI, Microsoft was banking on hardware developers moving towards touchscreens, which never happened.


If they weren't a bunch of arrogant pricks they would have realized that the touch screen just wasn't happening for home PC use. Instead they built an OS around a piece of tech that nobody really uses, and this is the result.
#35 Jan 26 2014 at 6:21 PM Rating: Good
I use touchscreen devices. I have a Windows Phone 8 device, my laptop is touchscreen, and I just replaced two 21" monitors with two Acer 27" touchscreens.

I'm the last of my friends to make that kind of move. And I don't even have any Windows tablets yet.

Edited, Jan 26th 2014 7:22pm by darexius2010
____________________________
Blog: http://robertcrist.me/

Current: FFXIV | EVE Online (again)
Former: FFXI | The Matrix Online (FOREVER!!!) | STO | SW:TOR | EQ2 | WoW | Florensia | RF Online

FFXI :: Valefor :: Dareknight, Darexius
FFXIV :: Valefor :: Dare Knight
EVE Online :: Dare Knight, Hazel Knight, Rex Knight
#36 Jan 27 2014 at 2:42 AM Rating: Good
******
27,272 posts
Why? What's the point in having a touch screen 2+ feet away from you when you have a mouse right in front of you on your desk? The only screen I'd want to touch would be a Cintiq and that's jusy with the stylus (and that's not worth anywhere near the $2000 pricetag to me).
____________________________
Theophany wrote:
YOU'RE AN ELITIST @#%^ AETHIEN, NO WONDER YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS AND PEOPLE HATE YOU.
someproteinguy wrote:
Aethien you take more terrible pictures than a Japanese tourist.
Astarin wrote:
One day, Maz, you'll learn not to click on anything Aeth links.
#37 Jan 27 2014 at 3:39 PM Rating: Decent
5 posts
darexius2010 wrote:
gorila123 wrote:
So did we just came to the conclusion that Win8.1 was never the problem?

For me it's the best thing that happened since XP and most people having problems with it either have a lame hardware not supported by their own manufacturer or have their HD full of malware from **** sites.


I'd be particularly careful about this -- The hardware some people have is exactly what they can afford, and keep in mind that not everyone (I'm not saying this about Catwho, but just in general) has the technical expertise of someone with a doctorate in Computer Science or having worked in tech since the IBM PS/2 desktop. I often hear, "f'ing noob", thrown around by people who are technically savvy when the people they're dealing with really are computer illiterate or unable to afford better and don't know that they need better.

It's the equivalent of chewing a first timer in a dungeon in an MMO who's never played cooperatively in an MMO before, and we can all mostly relate to how that feels on the receiving end.


I guess it's up to the manufacturer to support their own hardware, not MS. About the prices, well I'm far from rich but I always prefered to buy a little "worse" piece of hardware from a good and well known manufacturer than some supposedly better pieces from unreliable brands.

To all the other who flamed at me for "defending" Win8.1, all I have to say is that it works fine for me, never gave any problem, I came directly from Win7 (never used Win8 as it had some known problems with a couple games) which also never gave me no problem whatsoever. **** since Win Vista it's been all good so I don't really get all the hate. Could it be better? I guess. It's the worst thing that happened to the PC users? No!

One thing that I really like about win8.1 is that it's not only touch friendly but also works just fine and it's intuitively for keyboard+mouse users like me.

Edited, Jan 27th 2014 4:40pm by gorila123

Edited, Jan 27th 2014 4:40pm by gorila123
#38 Jan 27 2014 at 10:01 PM Rating: Good
As one of my friends once told me, "You won't ever understand until you start using it".
____________________________
Blog: http://robertcrist.me/

Current: FFXIV | EVE Online (again)
Former: FFXI | The Matrix Online (FOREVER!!!) | STO | SW:TOR | EQ2 | WoW | Florensia | RF Online

FFXI :: Valefor :: Dareknight, Darexius
FFXIV :: Valefor :: Dare Knight
EVE Online :: Dare Knight, Hazel Knight, Rex Knight
#39 Jan 27 2014 at 10:57 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
******
29,913 posts
You can't hate Windows 8.1 properly until you have used it, gave it a fair chance, and removed it in disgust."
____________________________
Arch Duke Kaolian Drachensborn, lvl 95 Ranger, Unrest Server
Tech support forum | FAQ (Support) | Mobile Zam: http://m.zam.com (Premium only)
Forum Rules
#40 Jan 27 2014 at 11:15 PM Rating: Good
Dread Lörd Kaolian wrote:
You can't hate Windows 8.1 properly until you have used it, gave it a fair chance, and removed it in disgust."


If I could vote you up, I totally would no matter what you said :P
____________________________
Blog: http://robertcrist.me/

Current: FFXIV | EVE Online (again)
Former: FFXI | The Matrix Online (FOREVER!!!) | STO | SW:TOR | EQ2 | WoW | Florensia | RF Online

FFXI :: Valefor :: Dareknight, Darexius
FFXIV :: Valefor :: Dare Knight
EVE Online :: Dare Knight, Hazel Knight, Rex Knight
#41 Jan 28 2014 at 6:58 AM Rating: Default
5 posts
So much hate... and I still can't find one single thing that beginner and normal users can't do on win8.1. All my hardware got supported by MS Update (except shorcut keys (fn+...) but my manufacturer had the drivers anyway), I can run MatLab, MPLAB, LabView, Proteus, and all that stuff I need for my masters like a charm! All my peripherals got properly detected and installed by ms update, even my freaking 1998 HP printer!

You are those guys that always existed that are against progress, well let me tell you something I'm too: society tells me that being ***, *** marriage, and *** couples adopting children is the future! I don't like it, I find it repulsive and disgusting but do I go out and flame about it blaming society for choosing a path that it's not mine?? No, I just don't talk about it, look at it or even think about it and I'm doing just fine. Since only this year MS is ending the XP security updates, I think you all have plenty of time to go back to vista or seven, or change to you preferred free OS out there, but if your manufacturer stopped supporting your hardware don't blame Win7 or Ubuntu for it :)
#42 Jan 28 2014 at 7:49 AM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
Dude, you're trolling a software analyst here. Smiley: lol Just cuz Windows 8 could run all the crap I needed for my master's in Internet programming doesn't mean it can run the corporate software my company is using - since half of them are built for IE8 and are utterly broken in any other browser. We'll get around to fixing it this year since our office will be upgrading to Win8 in 2015, but you overestimate the pace of the business world.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#43 Jan 28 2014 at 8:36 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
******
29,913 posts
Change for arbitrary stupid reasons that end up causing the simplest tasks to take 4 extra mouse clicks is not "progress". It's not a matter of things working or not working. It's a matter of the interface being a huge step backwards from where we were in the wrong direction. And they are reportedly fixing it in windows 9. But until then, windows 8.1 remains the worst operating system since windows ME, and I ran windows ME.
____________________________
Arch Duke Kaolian Drachensborn, lvl 95 Ranger, Unrest Server
Tech support forum | FAQ (Support) | Mobile Zam: http://m.zam.com (Premium only)
Forum Rules
#44 Jan 28 2014 at 10:40 AM Rating: Default
5 posts
Catwho wrote:
Dude, you're trolling a software analyst here. Smiley: lol Just cuz Windows 8 could run all the crap I needed for my master's in Internet programming doesn't mean it can run the corporate software my company is using - since half of them are built for IE8 and are utterly broken in any other browser. We'll get around to fixing it this year since our office will be upgrading to Win8 in 2015, but you overestimate the pace of the business world.


You're right about that, I don't know what's going on in business world, my comments where based on what a normal domestic user/student would need.

Dread Lörd Kaolian wrote:
Change for arbitrary stupid reasons that end up causing the simplest tasks to take 4 extra mouse clicks is not "progress". It's not a matter of things working or not working. It's a matter of the interface being a huge step backwards from where we were in the wrong direction. And they are reportedly fixing it in windows 9. But until then, windows 8.1 remains the worst operating system since windows ME, and I ran windows ME.


Could you specify which daily tasks for the normal user got those 4 extra clicks? I didn't noticed that, all my tasks are at the same "distance" they always were since the first appearance of the start button: "win button+first 2/3 letters of the thing I need+Enter". You can also directly boot to your desktop so if you have shortcuts in your desktop (I don't, I like to keep my desktop clean :) ) they're still 1 click away. Restart, shut down, etc still the same too: "right click on win logo+click option done!". Let me see other simple daily tasks...hmm connect to wi-fi/bluetooth actually made much more easier/faster, connect to projector, etc

I don't know if you have children but kids (I mean people now entering in university) nowadays do like a lot these extremely graphic interfaces and they master them, and they're the future, we, the ones that lived through ms dos, must deal with it.

PS: I also ran ME, nothing can be worse than ME, it doesn't matter how much MS fails again, nothing will ever be so bad :D
#45 Jan 29 2014 at 7:24 PM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
I'll also point out that if you had read the first few posts of the thread, I wasn't complaining about the UI. I was complaining about the total instability of the system, constant blue screens of death, and the fact that Microsoft is a bully and decided a key that was perfectly valid when I installed 8.0 was no longer valid for an 8.1 installation.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#46 Jan 30 2014 at 8:40 AM Rating: Default
5 posts
Catwho wrote:
I'll also point out that if you had read the first few posts of the thread, I wasn't complaining about the UI.

You weren't but pretty much everyone else was.

Catwho wrote:
I was complaining about the total instability of the system, constant blue screens of death, and the fact that Microsoft is a bully and decided a key that was perfectly valid when I installed 8.0 was no longer valid for an 8.1 installation.

Your problem is a very valid problem and I understand that since problems only began when you changed OS it may look like it's Windows fault, but my opinion is that either manufacturers adapt (make drivers) to the OS people are using or make their own OS, in this case it's hardly MS fault not directly supporting through MS Update your specific motherboard/whatever. In my case they supported 99% of the things, but even if they didn't I knew Toshiba/NVidia/Intel/etc wouldn't fail on me (as they didn't for that 1%).

About the key problem, my experience:

I had my license for win8 from DreamSpark for free, made a clean install, then updated to win8.1 directly from the Shop App with no problems at all and no further activations. When it finished just had to restart and it was done, so you may guess it's hard for me to believe that Win8.1 is the root of all problems Smiley: smile

Anyway I think that everything has been said and it was made clear that Win8.1 it's not like a virus, it is an OS, and a very nice one. So nice that even the most "computer retarded" people can use it even if they barely know how to use a mouse. I guess that's what this "stupid interface", as you call it, is about: technological integration for everyone, from the electrical and computer engineering student that programs some silly embedded applications every now and then (me) to the regular housewife that just wants to upload some food photos to facebook.
#47 Feb 01 2014 at 9:46 AM Rating: Good
Catwho wrote:
a key that was perfectly valid when I installed 8.0 was no longer valid for an 8.1 installation.


You may have specified this earlier in the thread but I wanted to jump in and mention that I've seen this happen as well where my 8.0 key doesn't work in 8.1 -- I have installation media for both versions and my key, which I pulled with Belarc advisor off my laptop, will only work during install using 8.0 media, and it can be any 8.0 media. It will NOT activate if I install with the 8.1 media and there's nothing I can do to make it work. So, during a fresh install, I can only use my key if I use 8.0 media.
____________________________
Blog: http://robertcrist.me/

Current: FFXIV | EVE Online (again)
Former: FFXI | The Matrix Online (FOREVER!!!) | STO | SW:TOR | EQ2 | WoW | Florensia | RF Online

FFXI :: Valefor :: Dareknight, Darexius
FFXIV :: Valefor :: Dare Knight
EVE Online :: Dare Knight, Hazel Knight, Rex Knight
#48 Feb 19 2014 at 11:02 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
6,440 posts
Oh god. I just bought a new laptop that came with Windows 8. It is going to update to 8.1 as soon as it restarts. Oh god. Oh god.
____________________________
Galkaman wrote:
Kuwoobie will die crushed under the burden of his mediocrity.

#49 Feb 20 2014 at 8:43 AM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
As soon as it's updated, go to the manufacturer's website and see if they released any hardware/firmware updates for 8.1.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#50 Feb 20 2014 at 1:28 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,187 posts
Catwho wrote:
As soon as it's updated, go to the manufacturer's website and see if they released any hardware/firmware updates for 8.1.

Yeah, then do a Jimi Hendrix. Put the laptop on the ground, kneel in front of it, pour gasoline over it, drop a lit match on it, and pray over it.

____________________________
"the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."
Hermann Goering, April 1946.
#51 Feb 20 2014 at 1:50 PM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
cynyck wrote:
Catwho wrote:
As soon as it's updated, go to the manufacturer's website and see if they released any hardware/firmware updates for 8.1.

Yeah, then do a Jimi Hendrix. Put the laptop on the ground, kneel in front of it, pour gasoline over it, drop a lit match on it, and pray over it.

Only if it boots to blue screen. Then yeah, that's your best bet.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 1 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (1)